This past Saturday the second annual Pugachev’s Barrel-Aged Beer Festival took place at Hangar 24 in Redlands, CA. The event commemorated the official release of two new beers which are part of this year’s coveted Barrel Roll Series: Pugachev’s Cobra 2013 and Pugachev’s Royale.
• Pugachev’s Cobra begins as an intense Russian Imperial Stout brewed with three dark, roasted malts and maple syrup. This complex base is then aged for eight months in freshly emptied bourbon barrels.
• Pugachev Royale is a more developed version of Cobra. Hangar 24 added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to a select few barrels of Pugachev’s Cobra during its eight months in bourbon barrels. It was then transferred to brandy barrels for an additional 10 months of aging. Royale displays sweet, ripe fruit notes doused with incredible chocolate aromatics.
The event attracted a huge number of both barrel aged beer enthusiasts, as well as local beer lovers, despite the cold and rainy weather. Some started waiting in line at 4am just to get their hands on the coveted Pugachev Royale, of which only 400 11.2oz bottles were released. The rest enjoyed a vast selection of tasters featuring each vintage of every Barrel Roll beer Hangar 24 has ever produced.
The Barrel Roll series began in 2010 and has produced seven unique releases. A few in the series have been released only once while others, such as the popular Pugachev’s Cobra, have been released annually.
“Pugachev’s release day has become a holiday of sorts at Hangar 24,” said Ben Cook, founder and master brewer. “We think there’s no better way to celebrate than to offer the chance for our fans to taste selections from throughout the years of our barrel program.”
Hangar 24 Craft Brewery was founded in 2008 in Redlands, California and is widely known for their flagship beer, Orange Wheat. The brewery takes its name from a specific aircraft hangar at Redlands Municipal Airport, where Ben Cook would hang out with friends after an afternoon of flying to talk aviation, play music and share his latest batch of homebrew. The brewery and tasting room were established and still operate in a renovated hangar directly across the street.
Here’s the full lineup from Saturday’s event:
– 2011 Pugachev’s Cobra
– 2012 Pugachev’s Cobra
– 2012 Pugachev’s Cobra Rye Whiskey Barrel
– 2013 Pugachev’s Cobra
– 2013 Pugachev’s Cobra Rye Whiskey Barrel
– 2013 Pugachev’s Cobra Wheat Whiskey Barrel
– 2010 Immelmann
– 2012 Immelmann Rye Whiskey Barrel
– 2013 Immelmann
– 2013 Immelmann Rye Whiskey Barrel
– 2013 Immelmann Wheat Whiskey Barrel
– 2012 Hammerhead
– 2013 Hammerhead
– 2013 Hammerhead Brandy Barrel
– 2012 Warmer Rye Whiskey Barrel
– 2013 Warmer Rye Whiskey Barrel
– 2013 Gourdgeous Bourbon Barrel
– 2013 Gourdgeous/Hammerhead Bourbon Barrel Blend
– 2012 4th Anniversary Rye Whiskey Barrel
– 2013 Tailslide
– 2013 Slow Roll
– 2012 Chandelle
– 2012 Humpty Bump
– 2013 Vinaceous Brandy Barrel